Improving bus service on 16th Street NW – one of the region’s busiest routes – has been under study for some time. Half of all travelers on 16th Street during rush hour ride the bus, yet buses are constantly overcrowded, delayed, and bunched together, making for an unpredictable and often-delayed ride.
From petition drives to public testimony to policy expertise, CSG and other community members have pushed to implement a dedicated rush hour bus lane for the last six years – and won! These bus lanes are currently under construction. Since we won the 16th Street campaign, DC has launched a Bus Priority Program to accelerate implementation of bus lanes and other improvements to make buses faster and more reliable. For the most up to date information on the project’s progress, go to the DDOT project website here.
- CSG comments in support of Option 2.5
- The 16th Street NW Bus Lanes public information page
- Design phase – Design options under consideration by DDOT (July 2017)
- Read DDOT’s planning phase final report
- See DDOT’s preferred alternative from the January 2016 meeting
- Download the 16th Street bus lane fact sheet