Are you a creative, tech savvy, and talented advocate looking to make a difference for sustainability, transit, affordable housing, and inclusive communities in the DC region? The Coalition for Smarter Growth (CSG) is seeking a Communications and Fundraising Assistant to join our small but mighty team. The ideal candidate will be creative, flexible, and organized; have a clear and effective writing style; experience with digital communications; and a passion for our mission.
About the Coalition for Smarter Growth
The Coalition for Smarter Growth is the leading organization in the Washington, DC region dedicated to making the case for smart growth. CSG advocates for walkable, bikeable, inclusive, and transit-oriented communities as the most sustainable and equitable way for the Washington, DC region to grow and provide opportunities for all. Read more about our organization at smartergrowth.net.
- Manage our communications schedule and calendar and coordinate our organization-wide communication.
- Use our WordPress and Squarespace platforms to produce content to engage with our supporters, evaluate supporter engagement, and ensure our websites reflect current campaigns/messaging.
- Create consistent and intriguing social media content for our Facebook and Twitter, manage daily performance metrics, and generate strategies to grow our presence on social media.
- Write engaging copy, and edit, proofread, and provide technical support for our advocacy updates, action alerts, invitations to events, and occasional fundraising content.
- Use our CRM, EveryAction, to create email and action communications and track the results of these efforts.
- Develop strategies to build our mailing list and engage supporters from a diverse array of backgrounds.
- Produce visual content to enhance our advocacy updates and online presence.
- Use Adobe Creative Suite or oversee outside design consultants to layout publications including our annual report, infographics, promotional materials, and other documents.
- Coordinate our two main donor donor events each year.
- Manage direct mailings and donor acknowledgements
- Support the Executive Director in corporate fundraising by creating spreadsheets and mail-merged letters for soliciting sponsorships for our annual award reception
- Manage our supporter database in EveryAction to ensure that our records are accurate, complete and up to date, and de-duplicated. Run queries and reports as needed
- Assist the Executive Director in entering checks into EveryAction
- Order office supplies; coordinate Year in Review mailing
- Assist policy staff with online/in-person educational events as needed
You should apply if you:
- Have a passion for making our communities more sustainable, inclusive, and livable, and want to participate in a team advocating for better transit, more affordable housing, and walkable and bike-friendly communities.
- Have a collaborative and positive attitude and are able to work on your own or in a team setting.
- Are creative, detail-oriented, and organized and are comfortable managing several projects at a time.
- Are an excellent writer and can write clear, easy-to-understand content about complicated issues on a deadline.
- Have an eye for design and understand the role good design plays in effective communication.
The following are important pluses:
- Experience with digital communication using a CRM system (we use EveryAction).
- Experience navigating the backend of a website (namely, WordPress or Squarespace).
- Strong knowledge of how to use Facebook and Twitter to advance engagement, advocacy, and fundraising goals.
- Experience with photography or video, digital advocacy campaigns, Adobe Creative Suite, and managing volunteers.
Employment Benefits & Details
- Expected salary range for qualified candidates is between $45,000 and $60,000. The exact level is dependent on experience. Performance-based raises are negotiable at the end of each year
- Full-time employment
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- A flexible schedule
- Commuter benefits
- Comprehensive vacation, sick, and personal leave
- 403(b) retirement program with employer contributions after one year of employment
CSG does not currently have a physical office location due to the pandemic, but once it is safe, the team will work together to identify an office space that will work for everyone, which may be a shared office space with flexible scheduling. Due to the subject matter, is it important that the candidate lives in the greater Washington, DC region, though we have flexibility for candidates who can start elsewhere and eventually move to the DC region when in-person meetings are safe. Periodic evening and weekend work is required and matched with reasonable flexibility during the week.
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age. You will be an employee of the Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC), a 501(c)3 non-profit and the parent organization for the Coalition for Smarter Growth. Learn more about PEC here.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample in one PDF to email@example.com with “Communications and Fundraising Assistant” in the subject line. In your application materials, let us know where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted until Sunday, May 9th. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.