Great news! The DC Zoning Commission unanimously approved the Takoma Metro station area redevelopment plan on July 13, 2023!
CSG spent over 20 years tracking, reviewing, and weighing in on the various iterations of this important transit-oriented mixed-use housing development, which faced unrelenting opposition. Thank you for joining us in this campaign – your advocacy helped it get over the finish line!
Here’s what you helped win:
- Approximately 440 new apartments for a mix of incomes and families
- At least 70 of the new homes will be affordable: 10 units will be affordable at 30% median family income (MFI), and 60 units at 60% MFI. Also, if the project wins a subsidy from the city, even more affordable homes will be built
- All 6 three-bedroom apartments will be for extremely low income families earning 30% MFI
- A civic plaza with a cafe and retail adjacent to the Metro station entrance
- Improved sidewalks, bike paths, and bicycle parking
- Safer access to the Metro station with close drop-off/pick-up parking spaces;
- Bus bays that will be more comfortable for people waiting due to proximity to retail, residences, and the Metro station entrance
- Preserved trees and recreational space – including “climbable” public art. 1.8 acres of open space will be permanently preserved
- Modernized stormwater management, where none has existed
Thanks again for helping show the breadth of support for more homes and better public spaces at the Takoma Metro station. Your advocacy made a real difference.
Make more wins like this possible by donating to CSG! This redevelopment is great news but there is so much that can still be done to make the DC region more walkable, bikeable, inclusive, and transit-oriented. Your donation enables us to keep doing this important work.
Thanks for all you do,